[Legal] Fw: Barnes & Noble putting on the squeeze

Alexander Bokovoy a.bokovoy на sam-solutions.net
Сб Апр 13 22:56:16 MSD 2002

FYI: что происходит сейчас в американских книжных магазинах
----- Forwarded message from David Alan Black <dblack на candle.superlink.net> -----

Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 00:08:50 +0900
From: David Alan Black <dblack на candle.superlink.net>
To: ruby-talk на ruby-lang.org (ruby-talk ML)
Subject: Barnes & Noble putting on the squeeze

Hello --

It looks to me like Barnes & Noble (at its actual stores) has cut down
the number of books in the "Programming Languages" section.  There's
now a total of about three shelves (i.e., not even a whole bookcase),
much of it Python.  There are two copies of the Pickaxe at my local
B&N, but no other Ruby books -- and, as of a few weeks ago, they
definitely carried "Nutshell" and I think they'd gotten in at least
one of the others.

Of course, there's also an entire row (with spillover) devoted to C++
and VB and Java.  Moreover (and this is the part that concerns and
depresses me the most) they now have a separate "Microsoft .NET
Resource Center" -- basically an entire bookcase, with its own
signage.  Something had to go, to make room for this, and apparently
the miscellaneous non-.NET, non-Micros**t programming languages were
at the top of the list.

This is more than a symbolic example of .NET infestation; it could
really make a difference.  I discovered Ruby by browsing at a
bookstore.  That option is probably on the way out.

David

P.S. The programming techniques and software engineering sections seem
to be less hard-hit, so there's at least some good news for our crafty
and/or pragmatic friends :-)

--
David Alan Black
home: dblack на candle.superlink.net

----- End forwarded message -----

--
/ Alexander Bokovoy
Software architect and analyst             // SaM-Solutions Ltd.