[Legal] Fw: Samba & DMCA

Alexander Bokovoy =?iso-8859-1?q?a=2Ebokovoy_=CE=C1_sam-solutions=2Enet?=
Чт Фев 21 12:10:05 MSK 2002

----- Forwarded message from Maksim Yakubenko <yak на jet.msk.su> -----

Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 11:29:18 +0300
From: Maksim Yakubenko <yak на jet.msk.su>
To: samba-technical на samba.org
Subject: Samba & DMCA

As of February 19, 2002
open-source project at http://www.bnetd.org/
was shut down by Blizzard Entertainment.

(bnetd - open source realization of BattleNet protocol)

Citation from http://www.bnetd.org/:
"This is due to 17 USC Section 512(c)(1)(C) (AKA DMCA,
supposedly required to be passed by WIPO treaties).
Blizzard claims bnetd is in violation of 17 USC Section
1201(b), though we do not agree with their interpretation."

This is terribly bad.

I'm asking: will the Samba project be next ?

Maxim

----- End forwarded message -----

--
/ Alexander Bokovoy
Software architect and analyst             // SaM-Solutions Ltd.