[Legal] Re: Лицензия для гровых движков.

Fedor Zuev fedor на earth.crust.irk.ru
Пт Янв 9 21:11:16 MSK 2004

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004, Sinom wrote:

S>> 	Ну так и добавьте в лицензию GPL специальное разрешение,
S>> если вас это так волнует. Там специально для похожих случаев
S>> предусмотрен механизм.

S>Где? Покажите. Может просмотрел что...
S>(Десятый пункт что-ли?)

	GPL FAQ на fsf.org

---------------

    	I am writing free software that uses non-free libraries. What
	legal issues come up if I use the GPL?

   If the libraries that you link with falls within the following
exception in the GPL:

     	However, as a special exception, the source code distributed
	need not include anything that is normally distributed (in either
	source or binary form) with the major components (compiler,
	kernel, and so on) of the operating system on which the
	executable runs, unless that component itself accompanies
	the executable.

then you don't have to do anything special to use them. In other
words, if the libraries you need come with major parts of a
proprietary operating system, the GPL says people can link your
program with them.

   If you want your program to link against a library not covered by
that exception, you need to add your own exception, wholly outside
of the GPL. This copyright notice and license notice give permission
to link with the program FOO:

   Copyright (C) yyyy  <name of copyright holder>

    This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as
published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the
License, or (at your option) any later version.

    Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307 USA

    In addition, as a special exception, <name of copyright
    holder> gives permission to link the code of this program with
    the FOO library (or with modified versions of FOO that use the
    same license as FOO), and distribute linked combinations including
    the two.  You must obey the GNU General Public License in all
    respects for all of the code used other than FOO.  If you modify
    this file, you may extend this exception to your version of the
    file, but you are not obligated to do so.  If you do not wish to
    do so, delete this exception statement from your version.

Only the copyright holders for the program can legally authorize
this exception. If you wrote the whole program yourself, then
assuming your employer or school does not claim the copyright, you
are the copyright holder--so you can authorize the exception. But if
you want to use parts of other GPL-covered programs by other authors
in your code, you cannot authorize the exception for them. You have
to get the approval of the copyright holders of those programs.

   When other people modify the program, they do not have to make
the same exception for their code--it is their choice whether to do
so.

   Adding this exception eliminates the legal issue, but does
nothing about the more serious problem of using a non-free library:
your program won't be fully usable in a free environment. If your
program depends on a non-free library to do a certain job, it cannot
do that job in the Free World. If it depends on a non-free library
to run at all, it cannot be part of a free operating system such as
GNU; it is entirely off limits to the Free World.

   So please consider: can you find a way to get the job done
without using this library? Can you write a free replacement for
that library?

   If the program is already written using the non-free library,
perhaps it is too late to change the decision. You may as well
release the program as it stands, rather than not release it. But
please mention in the README that the need for the non-free library
is a drawback, and suggest the task of changing the program so that
it does the same job without the non-free library.

   Also please tell us (<tasks на gnu.org>) about the non-free library
and what job it does. We could encourage people to develop a free
library to do the same job.

	Ну, вообще, как уже говорилось, это надо сильно постараться,
чтобы написать движок, для которого игровые уровни не были бы
простыми данными, с точки зрения как GPL, так и копирайта вообще,
совершенно нейтральными.